Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's a New Day

Listen to the first five minutes of this This American Life program on the Inauguration.

It's a pretty good explanation of why I love Obama so much, and why today feels like nonstop celebration. For the first time, all those goals and dreams and hopes I have for the environment, for our society, for the world, no longer seem like hopelessly idealistic musings of someone who will just continue to unproductively struggle against a ridiculously stubborn and misguided government. For the first time since I've been old enough to really care, the head of our country is actually on my side. For the first time, I don't have to hear someone in the White House suggest that climate change is not caused by human action, that drilling in ANWR is a good idea, that people are poor because they simply don't work hard enough. It is, indeed, as will.i.am so poignantly put it, A NEW DAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment